Steph's Friend

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Long Break In Medan

Hello! I am back. Well, not really, but yah, this is my first post in this internet-less place. In case you are wondering where I am, I am in Medan. Okay, maybe "internet-less" is too strong, but what I am trying to say is that a internet cafe is hard to find, unless you have a laptop where the shopping malls are wifi-ed and stuff.

Now, I am in this place where it's like 4000Rp per hour, that is equal to about S$0.70. Cheap huh? But the speed is horribly slow. It's like taking forever to load my blog (well, maybe I am too used to broadband back in Singapore).

First of all, thanks for all the comments and tags you gave. Quite a lot of interesting things happened here (as in Medan). Like there was this case when I was accompanying my Grandma to buy some chinese medicine when I saw this rat crawling out of the sewers. It's bigger than the size of my fist. Well, with such critters running around, I guess it can be an eyesore for foreign visitors like me. Anyway, I took a photo of it, but only managed to catch the back part of it, because it ran into the sewers. It was lucky it wasn't caught and cooked by some locals. Yes, I actually saw dead and cooked rats on sale. I wonder who would buy them?

The malls here are quite okay, a major improvement from 5 years before. The malls are air-conditioned. Once I was in this plaza, Sun Plaza. There was something like a Kopitiam there, but the problem was that a lot of people smoked! And for goodness sake, it is an air-conditioned place! Lol...I guess smoking is a part of the people's life here. Okay, not all people, but the majority. It's air-con people! And passive smoking is worse than active smoking. Oh well, I guess it's the people's lifestyle and all. The interesting thing was that even young children smoke. As young as 14? 15? Around there. Even girls smoke too. Peer pressure? I don't know. But it's quite sad. There are some girls who look innocent and angelic, and all of a sudden, they lit a cigar and puff away. Kinda scary.

Now, I am left with around 25 minutes of Internet usage before I need to fork out that 4000Rp. I guess I will end here for now. Once again, Happy Christmas to all and have a Happy New Year :D


Technorati   Digg!   Del.icio.us   Reddit   Furl   Google   Yahoo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home