Steph's Friend

Sunday, March 18, 2007

A Special Someone's Birthday Celebration

It was my first experience in a jewelery store. I know nothing about buying those gems and precious stones that are dubbed as "a woman's best friend". I was looking for one for someone special.

Sales Attendant: Yes sir, how can I help you?
Me: I am looking for a pair of earrings. The dangling kind.
Sales Attendant: Hm...okay. Please come over that side. I will show you some earrings that may suit what you have in mind.

I walked with her over to a glass counter. As she looked for a pair that suits my requirements, I was secretly hoping that the price tag would be friendly. After all, my salary isn't quite high, so something beyond $1000 would be too pricey. Maybe $300 to $400 would be bearable. If it's for that someone special, I guess it would be bearable.

Sales Attendant: How's this? Does it look nice?

I asked a realistic question.

Me: How much is it?
Sales Attendant: Let me see. After discount it will be...about $500.
Me: Erm...okay. How about that one? That looks nice.
Sales Attendant: This? This would be around...$1200.

At that point of time, I was shocked. Never ever in my life have I seen something so small and expensive. Let me emphasize that it's SMALL and EXPENSIVE.

Me: Wah...that's very expensive.
Sales Attendant: Of course, after all, this has 3 diamonds in it. If it's too expensive, how about this one?
Me: How much is that?
Sales Attendant: It's about $300.
Me: But it doesn't look nice and elegant.
Sales Attendant: You want me to try it on so you can see?

Either the sales attendant was being nice or she was just trying to get a chance to wear some expensive stuff.

Me: Nah, it's okay. It doesn't look nice anyway.

I need to find something nice and affordable, something that would fit that someone special. Sheesh, it's so hard to do that with a tight budget. After thinking for a long time, I could see that the sales attendant was getting sian. She may be thinking that a small boy like me wouldn't have the cash for something nice. Haha...I guess she maybe right.

I gave the reason of not having enough money before leaving the shop. As I walked out of the shop, I thought that at least I must buy something before I see her. After all, it was her birthday on that day. So what should I buy?

I went to BreadTalk. I saw a "Tiramisu Classic" birthday cake. The price was pricey for a birthday cake. But I guess when you love someone, giving things to him/her would be a natural thing to do. After all, love isn't really about receiving, but giving also. Of course you can't give all the time, a balance between both would be good.

I know she has never tried tiramisu before. So despite the price, I bought it. I hoped that she would like it. With the cake, I went to the bus interchange and took 198 to her place.

In the bus, a lot of thoughts went through my mind. Should I draw more money and just buy a pair of earrings that looks good on her? What if it doesn't suits her taste? What if she wanted something else? Would a cake without any presents do? Lots of questions and few answers. I held the cake tightly as the bus was crowded and tried my best to protect it from being squashed. After all, a squashed cake wouldn't look as exquisite as one that isn't squashed.

The bus reached the stop and I walked to her house. I went in but she wasn't around. So I kept the cake in the fridge and took a nap.

I woke up to a familiar voice. It was my dad. A few seconds later, I heard her voice. I guess she's there. So I quickly woke up and went to the fridge while my dad and brother called her to come and see. I placed the cake on the kitchen table. She entered the kitchen table and was pleasantly surprised.

She's none other than my mother.

I told her about my initial plan to buy a pair of earrings for her but she said that it was not necessary. Furthermore, when I described to her the design that I wanted to buy, she said that what she wanted was another design. Thankfully I didn't buy that earring, else it would be a waste as it wasn't what she wanted. It was then that I noticed something.

My mother started to tear.

I did not feel good as it was her birthday and she's tearing. I guessed she was touched, but somehow, I just felt uncomfortable. I mean you won't feel happy when your mother cries right? Same. It was a happy and yet uncomfortable situation for me. She was touched. Normally, birthday celebrations would come with a simple cake or a family meal outside, but her's on that day was special because the cake was the most expensive so far.

She was touched. Amidst the tears she said "thank you". Aw...it was simply too mushy for me. I just smiled and nodded my head. My father was smiling and so was my brother. After the tears and all, we started to eat the cake. It was my family's first take on tiramisu. It was then that one of us said this.

Someone: Hm...this tiramisu tastes great! Why do I say so? Because it's expensive, so must say nice.

We all laughed.

It was a simple, cozy and memorable birthday celebration for my mother.


Technorati   Digg!   Del.icio.us   Reddit   Furl   Google   Yahoo

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is the most amazing post I have ever read. Mom's sure deserve the best and you know what the best thing about them is, they don't expect anything from you but when you get them something, they just love it, no matter how small or inexpensive it is. For them, it is really precious.
Drop into my blog on birthday ecards for some beautiful e-greeting cards and other interesting info.

3:48 PM, March 19, 2007  
Blogger Steph said...

Thanks Michael. It's true.

6:47 AM, March 20, 2007  
Blogger imacsg said...

My birthday was on 16 March and no one celebrated for me. When I was young, I used to celebrate my birthday. Now I have two sons and husband and nobody celebrate for me. You are a great son. Keep it up. I love you.

6:02 PM, March 24, 2007  
Blogger Steph said...

That's sad. I am sure someone would have remembered your birthday (friends, colleagues, family). I hope that you aren't too sad.

9:11 AM, March 25, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home