Steph's Friend

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

World's Youngest Professional Drummer - Ethan Ong


He may look like your average primary school kid but when he's given a pair of drum sticks and a drum set, you better get ready to be impressed.

This guy is definitely amazing! He plays the drums very well and smoothly. I am a drummer myself but looking at him (mind you he's only 7) play the drums makes me feel small. I started learning at the age of 10 but he started at 2! I must say that he's definitely talented in the drums.

Good thing that I found a clip of him performing so that you can listen to what I am talking about.

Ladies and gentleman, his name is Ethan Ong.



Can you believe it? A 7 year old played that! I was stunned at his drumming skills when I saw this video. The sticking and fills were precise and smooth.

Can you hear the girls scream and people clapping for him? When I play, my brother would scream for me to quiet down. But seriously, playing in front of a large crowd of people ain't easy, even more if you are a 7 year old trying to blast on the drums, but he did it.

Here's an excerpt from his website on his first drumming experience - his father's shoulders:
"Yup, that’s right. Ethan’s first ever drum set was the ever present, ultra mobile shoulders of mine. During church services (especially the fast paced songs), Ethan would readily bounce along in my arms and drum on my shoulders when he was somewhere between the age of 1 to 2. Before long, we noticed that he had a very natural sense of rhythm and was rather precise in his groove and crashes (on the “cymbals”). Needless to say, he looked forward to every worship service!

During the weekdays, Ethan would drum on my lap and palms whether we were in the car or on the MRT. We would either be listening to music from the car stereo or I would be singing, with him drumming along to practically any tune or groove."
I am impressed. Are you?

(Picture taken from http://www.ethanong.com/index.html)


Technorati   Digg!   Del.icio.us   Reddit   Furl   Google   Yahoo

7 Comments:

Blogger Emily Suess said...

Wow!!

10:42 PM, July 21, 2006  
Blogger Blog Intro said...

This Blog will be Introduced on BlogIntro.com today!

6:46 AM, July 22, 2006  
Blogger Steph said...

Yup, I had the same reaction when I first saw it too twowritehands.

11:04 PM, July 22, 2006  
Blogger Steph said...

That's great!

11:05 PM, July 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For a 7 yr. old the rif on the bell is fantastic.

8:31 AM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger Steph said...

True Anonymous. He's a skilled drummer.

10:58 PM, September 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, He is not the youngest anymore

Valentijn Kipuw,has a sponsor contract with Ludwich Drums

and He is only 3 years old

don't believe it check this link down here

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/959/Bizar/article/detail/1035715/2009/11/30/Drumwonder-van-drie-nu-al-onder-contract-bij-groot-merk.dhtml

2:05 AM, May 26, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home