Steph's Friend

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

DSTA Scholarship - Breaking The Code

If you had noticed, DSTA had an advertisement in The Sunday Times (19th November 2006) in the last page of Lifestyle.

This was how it looked like.


(Picture taken from this PDF file)

My father saw it and asked me if I could break the code at the top-left corner. At first, I was skeptical about it. After all, it may just be a mix and match of random alphabets and letters. Nevertheless, I took a shot at it. Surprisingly, it revealed a message! It was totally unexpected. I didn't know they would really advertise a real code for people to break instead of some random alpha-numeric arrangement.

I emailed the result to DSTA hoping to get an interview or something like that, but they directed me to their website for further information. Lol...apparently, breaking codes isn't the only thing that is required. As always, an outstanding GCE A-level or Diploma (merit) has to be present too. You may want to try to break the code and who knows, you may have an interview with them if your email address is not as long as mine. Even if they don't call you, at least you know that you are smart enough to break a code from DSTA and not Kids Central. Take comfort in that :)

After breaking the code, I saw somemore on the man's shirt. I tried to break it using the same key as the previous one, but it was futile. What came out was some jumbled letters that seem to come from a toddler. I guess that was where the random arrangement comes in. I maybe wrong though.

Note: I won't post the answers or any clues here. Try to break it without help, you will be even more satisfied if you do so.

Can you break the code?

(For more information on the DSTA Scholarship, you can refer here)


Technorati   Digg!   Del.icio.us   Reddit   Furl   Google   Yahoo

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow you're a genius! I saw this code outside my school busstop and tried to decipher it... but to no avail. I gave up XD Haha people like me with little patience are not eligible to take up such jobs anyway.

Great that you managed to crack that whole thing! Congratulations!

11:13 AM, November 21, 2006  
Blogger Steph said...

Really? I didn't knew it was posted there. I guess they were hoping to attract the JC students too in their advertising campaign. I am sure there are some bright students from your side who knows how to crack it.

Thanks for the compliments :D The message is quite interesting.

10:06 PM, November 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obviously you possess a Greater Mind

:D

12:01 PM, March 22, 2007  
Blogger Steph said...

To Anonymous,

Well, all I have to say is you obviously possess a greater mind :)

9:07 AM, March 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There seems to be more now, especially with all the scholarship advertisements due to the A level results release.

But the puzzles are similarly simple substitutions.

And could have been more interesting to solve for a secret number to call for a recruitment officer to talk to.

10:40 AM, March 09, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to all who managed to break the hexadecimal ASCII codes. Obviously, (all of) you possess a greater mind!

(psst. i knew straight away they are ascii codes in hexadecimal when i first looked at it)

the javascript code to tell you the message (definitely not a virus)

Copy and paste the entire code (single line only) into your web browser address bar and press enter.

javascript:var g=[0x4f,0x62,0x76,0x69,0x6f,0x75,0x73,0x6c,0x79,0x20,0x79,0x6f,0x75,0x20,0x70,0x6f,0x73,0x73,0x65,0x73,0x73,0x20,0x61,0x20,0x20,0x47,0x72,0x65,0x61,0x74,0x65,0x72,0x20,0x40,0x69,0x6e,0x64];s='';for (i=0;i-g.length;i++)s+=String.fromCharCode(g[i]);alert(s);

4:35 PM, May 30, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home