Steph's Friend

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The First Child In The Family (Part 2)

Today, I went to the wet market to buy some Chinese medicine for my mother. She asked me to buy some stuff which I had trouble pronouncing as my chinese wasn't that good. So when you ask someone who isn't good in chinese to buy chinese medicine, it's better to describe to him what the product looks like lest he brings home something else. That was what I did. No, I didn't bring home some antler's horn. I asked my mum to describe to me what I was suppose to buy. She drew it and it looked like some branch with leaves on it. I took down the hanyu pinyin name of it and went to the market. Along the way there, I practiced pronouncing the name of that medicine, lest I sound like an idiot in front of the shop keeper.

It was my first time in a long time in the market. The last time I was there I was quite young. There were people buying stuff. Vendors would shout from their stall the things they sell. The smell of vegetables and fish was there. In short, the scene was rowdy.

I went to this stall that had vegetables and fruits. So I approached the stall owner and asked him in chinese.

Me: Uncle, do you have "poh ho hiok"?
Uncle: No

Not bad, he understood my chinese.

I went to another stall and looked around. In that stall, there was this vegetable that looked like what my mother drew. I wanted to buy it but was afraid that it maybe another vegetable that looked similar. So I asked the lady owner. Before asking I thought whether I should address her as auntie or miss. She looked like she was in her mid-thirties but she may not like to be called an "auntie". Then suddenly she talked to me in chinese.

Auntie: What do you want?
Me: Do you have "poh ho hiok"?
Auntie: Yes I have. Wait a while.

She took that vegetable that I almost bought! So I was correct!

Auntie: How many of this do you want?
Me: How do you sell it?

She took it and place it on the weighing scale.

Auntie: I will sell this for $1.
Me: Okay.

After I bought "poh ho hiok", I bought some other stuff like breakfast, and some ingredients for some chinese medicine.

So that was my "adventure" in the wet market. Pretty boring I know.

In the afternoon, I went for lunch. After my lunch, I bought some cardboard to make a clothes folder. The concept is quite new and I thought why not make one? I went home and tried to make it. It took me about 30 minutes to make it and it was quite good. I tried folding clothes with it and it works! Not bad huh? In case you don't know what I am talking about, here's a video where I got my inspiration from.



Thank God that my mum's feeling much better now. I guess I can go back to work tomorrow. It's nice to know that your family is healthy.


Technorati   Digg!   Del.icio.us   Reddit   Furl   Google   Yahoo

2 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

wah, creative man! U are a good boy i guess :)

4:27 PM, May 07, 2007  
Blogger Steph said...

Thanks Annie :)

No one is perfect, everyone has their flaws :)

11:02 PM, May 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home