Steph's Friend

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

I Not Stupid Too

Today, I met with my cousins and grandmother from Indonesia and we went to Plaza Singapura to watch Jack Neo's movie, I Not Stupid Too.



Tom (Shawn Lee), Cheng Cai (Joshua Ang) and Jerry (Ashley Leong)

It was a touching movie. The show centers around three kids, Jerry, his elder brother Tom, and Tom's friend Cheng Cai. The story is a narration by Jerry on how Singaporean children handle both school and family. Tom and Jerry belonged to a well-to-do family where money isn't an issue but communication is. The children tried to communicate to their parents but to no avail. Cheng Cai belonged to a family which consists of only him and his father, an ex-convict. His father wants him to pursue his studies to avoid being like him, but he doesn't listen.

There were some scenes that shocked me. For example, there was this scene where Tom (played by Shawn Lee, fixed ear studs! It was not one but many!). The other scene was this scene where Cheng Cai (played by Joshua Ang), smoked! I don't know how they manage to do all these...but those scenes were something that I didn't expect from the two home-grown actors who have a good-boy reputation. I won't reveal too much in case I spoil the movie for those who have not watched it yet.

I would recommend it to everyone, especially Singaporeans for it touches on issues close to the Singaporean. The most obvious one is the gap between parents and children as parents are busy because of their career-driven life. There were laughter and sobs throughout the whole show. I myself was moved to tears especially the part where Cheng Cai's father fell down and knocked his head on the floor...it was a sad scene.

The movie I feel is much better than the previous one (I Not Stupid). As it's funnier and more touching than the previous one. Also, it talked about issues that the majority can relate too. I would say that it's a good Chinese New Year movie to spend your hong bao money on.

There's one thing that I learned from the movie. That is the movie's definition of FAMILY.
FAMILY = Father And Mother, I Love You.
I find this definition witty and interesting. I agree with it as I believe that as the parents care for their children, the children should love them too. A happy family is priceless.

Tags: , ,

Technorati   Digg!   Del.icio.us   Reddit   Furl   Google   Yahoo

4 Comments:

Blogger Calvin aka Yamada Shun 山田駿 said...

I never liked Jack Neo. :)

7:09 AM, February 01, 2006  
Blogger Steph said...

Lol...well, I guess each have their own preferences :)

I like the movie as a whole even though it's directed by Jack Neo :D

6:04 PM, February 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm.

I really like your acting.

But some gurls so ga-ga over u guys..

I have 2 tell u im not another female fan who praise u 2 heavens, but i must say many gurls like your bad boy look.


Well, me too!

10:56 PM, May 24, 2006  
Blogger Steph said...

Lol...so sorry to disappoint you Manda, but I am not one of the casts in the movie. I am just but an ordinary Singaporean.

5:37 PM, May 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home