Steph's Friend

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Life Without Limbs - Nick Vujicic

I went for a Church function just now. There, I saw a DVD on this man - Nick Vujicic. Who is he? He was born without limbs. Yes, no hands and legs, just the torso and head - he's Nick Vujicic.



(Pictures taken from Nick's website.)

Imagine life without the four limbs. Tough? Unbearable? As the firstborn son, his parents were devastated upon his delivery. Not only that, school was tough for him. Here's how he described his growing years:
There were some people who assumed that because of my physical disability that it meant that I'd also be mentally disabled. The law in Australia didn't allow me to be integrated into a main-stream school because of my physical disability. God did miracles and gave my Mom the strength to fight for the law to be changed. I was one of the first disabled students to be integrated into a mainstream school.

I liked going to school, and try to live life like everyone else, but it was in my early years of school where I encountered uncomfortable times of feeling rejected, weird and bullied because of my physical difference. It was very hard for me to get used to, but with the support of my parents, I started to develop attitudes and values which helped me overcome these challenging times. I knew that I was different but on the inside I was just like everyone else. There were many times when I felt so low that I wouldn't go to school just so I didn't have to face all the negative attention. I was encouraged by my parents to ignore them and to try start making friends by just talking with some kids. Soon the students realized that I was just like them, and starting there God kept on blessing me with new friends.
(You can read more here.)

Life sure was hard for Nick. Of course he felt angry and very disappointed in life. With a limbless body, who wouldn't? But because of his struggles, God touched him to share his life story with the people around. Now, he's able to answer the phone, comb his hair and yes, even swim! Here's what he has to say about his life now:
I am now twenty-one years old and have completed a Bachelor of Commerce majoring in Financial Planning and Accounting. I am also a motivational speaker and love to go out and share my story and testimony wherever opportunities become available. I have developed talks to relate to and encourage students through topics that challenge today's teenagers. I am also a speaker in the corporate sector. For more information on Nick's presentations go to "Nick's Ministry".

In recent years, I have learnt to become independent and can now take care of all my personal needs. I can do everything from brushing my teeth, combing my hair, dressing up, taking care of my personal hygiene and even shaving. I get around the house by jumpin' around and, outside the house, I get around in an electric wheelchair. I love to swim, fish and play soccer. I have a passion for reaching out to youth and keep myself available for whatever God wants me to do, and wherever He leads, I follow.

I have many dreams and goals that I have set to achieve in my life. I want to become the best witness I can be of God's Love and Hope, to become an international inspirational speaker and be used as a vessel in both Christian and non-Christian venues. I want to become financially independent by the age of 25, through real estate investments, to modify a car for me to drive and to be interviewed and share my story on the "Oprah Winfrey Show"! Writing several best-selling books has been one of my dreams and I hope to finish writing my first by the end of the year. It will be called "No Arms, No Legs, No Worries!"
Inspirational? It sure is for me. As a Christian, sometimes I forget that God is there with me even in the most difficult situations. It's easy to blame and question where is He in tough times, but is that right? This story of Nick Vujicic has truly been inspiring.

Remember that if you feel down and all, there's always someone somewhere far worse than your current condition, and yet that person can be happy. If someone without limbs can be so positive about life, I don't see a reason for you to not see the good things in life.

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28)


Technorati   Digg!   Del.icio.us   Reddit   Furl   Google   Yahoo

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have heard of this young man before. His life should be an inspiration to all of us.

9:26 PM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger Steph said...

True, he is an inspiring person.

5:08 PM, October 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

am from kenya n nick is visiting my country at the moment.i am soo challenged by this guy and he is such an inspiration to many..i hope he gets to know this some day..may God bless him exeedingly!!!

5:48 PM, November 02, 2006  
Blogger Steph said...

True Anonymous, his life sure is an inspiration to many of us who are born with a complete body.

10:31 PM, November 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have known Nick all his life and can say that he is truly an inspiration. I remember him visiting the bible studies I had at my home before he became an international speaker where he talked about his desire to do so.

It's now amazing to see him doing this. I am looking forward to him doing a major even for our church in Australia (www.citywestchurch.com) in December.

10:30 PM, April 25, 2007  
Blogger Steph said...

It's nice to know Nick. Yes, he's a very inspirational example we all can learn from.

God bless and best wishes for your major event in your church in December :)

7:01 AM, April 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Vujicic,
My name is Manny Giron am the C.E.O. of Longhorn Logistics. Have had the worst 18 months I thought anyone could endure. I have been embezzed, ended in jail for checks that bounced from my company, while in jail, no one would help me get out. I never gave up on my love of GOD. Am still going through hard times trying to get back on my feet. I stumbled on to you this past Saturday, speaking to a large crowd. I was so inpired by your presentation that I felt compel to write to you and thank you personally for giving me a wonderful awaking. I am tall 6'3", good looking, (have been told that all my life) healthy, but am no match for a man's man like yourself. I am very humble by your message and will live everyday in a christain manner. I will never, complain again of my 'woes' after hearing you. Thank you and may GOD Always be with you. I don't know you, but I truely love you. Be good.
Manny

3:30 AM, August 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home