Steph's Friend

Monday, June 05, 2006

Someone Somewhere Is Far Worse Than You...

I've read the post "Smish Smashy Smack" by Jeremy and I agree with him totally.

Here's an excerpt from his post:
Sometimes, I think people who are miserable deserve it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm referring to those who simply choose to be all whimpy about stuff, and only complain and cry over things, and not do something. These are the people who deserve to be in the predicament they're in.

If you're met with a set back, it's entire OKAY to weep, feel angry, sad, give up hope on life, have suicidal thoughts, hope someone on a whitehorse will come and save you from the misery, for like maybe a few days, max. a week. But then after that, you've got to realize that what you're doing isn't gonna help the situation at all now, right?
Why do I agree? Simple. No matter how sad you are , there's always someone somewhere who is facing an even worse situation than you. Unless you happen to be that "someone somewhere", then I don't think that you should envelope yourself in total despair. Like Jeremy, I am not saying that it's wrong to be sad. Why, it's only natural for humans to be sad. Sadness is after all part of the emotional spectrum experienced by people all over. What I am trying to say is that you shouldn't shut yourself in a world of your own.

Your boyfriend/girlfriend may have just dumped you, but Jane's inheritance was taken away from her lover.

You may have lost your job, but Smith has just lost his family due to an extra-marital affair.

You may have lost your sense of sight, but Tanya has lost her will to live.

Get my point? Let me share a personal experience I had.

I was waiting for my O Level results then. I was fully confident that the JC (Junior College) I wanted to study in would be easy-peasy to enter, especially with my good prelim results. But when I received that slip of paper, my dreams were dashed! Poof! Gone! It was a very sad moment for me. The paper was in my hands; my eyes fixed on the results, but my mind was absent. In Singapore, when you go to RJC, HCJC or NJC, more or less your future is secure. It's not that I am mean or what, but in this "little red dot", papers are everything. Why, they even have a certificate for cleaning toilets!

Needless to say, I was depressed until I saw him. He was sitting at one corner near West Mall playing a harmonica with his mouth, guitar with his hands and tapping castanets with his toes. Tunes like "You Are My Sunshine" and "Amazing Grace" filled that little corner. I was touched. The whole scene was one that spoke powerfully. People passed him. One or two dropped a few coins. I stood there, listening to him. Did I give him anything? Just my attention. Yet he gave me something more valuable - an understanding that he's handicapped and he's happy. Such spirit!

I began to realise after that incident that my situation wasn't so bad after all. Half a day of disappointment couldn't possibly measure up to a lifetime of blindness. Is my poor result an excuse for me to shut myself from the encouragement and help provided by my friends and family? If yes, then I am truly a petty, selfish and short-sighted person.

I believe "sadness" is not caused by the events that happens around someone. It's how the person reacts to any situation that may result in sadness. So try not to dwell too long in that realm called "Sadness".

"My little sister accidentally poured some coffee on my shirt. Am I going to lose that job interview? Who cares? At least I get to see that girl from the laundry." ~ Anonymous


Technorati   Digg!   Del.icio.us   Reddit   Furl   Google   Yahoo

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Steph! This post certainly lifted me out of my pathetic state... after getting real bad results... =(

11:56 PM, June 05, 2006  
Blogger Steph said...

Welcome.
I am glad that you found it helpful :D
I guess results ain't everything when you consider someone who is less fortunate than you.

9:45 PM, June 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

here is someone who didn't give up despite how difficult it seems.

http://darkestharf.blogspot.com/2006/03/dont-give-up-yet.html

http://darkestharf.blogspot.com/2006/03/visit-to-imh.html

http://darkestharf.blogspot.com/2006/04/walking-with-you.html

9:23 AM, June 07, 2006  
Blogger Steph said...

A depression is definitely a form of handicap albeit a non-physical one. Nevertheless it's still a burden to live it.

It's nice to know that despite the depression and all, the individual still doesn't give up.

Thanks for sharing.

9:50 PM, June 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home