Steph's Friend

Thursday, April 26, 2007

A Fall Outside NUS

I went to work today. Nothing special. The bus driver was a man. The bus was a double-decker. People inside seemed to be busy. Some were reading, some sleeping and a few talking loudly on their hand phones. Everything was normal.

When the bus reached the stop at ITE opposite of NUS, I alighted. There was some rain and the floor was slippery. I was tired and busy thinking about my work and the things I had to do later. So I went up the overhead bridge, crossed over and was about to walk down when it happened.

I walked down the stairs and suddenly, this girl in front of me (she looks like a student of NUS) was on the floor. The senior man in front of her asked if she was okay. She didn't say anything (I think, or maybe I was sleepy and didn't catch what she said). The man left and she collected her stuff which was around her and stood up. By this time, I was beside her. Then before she moved one step down, she fell again. A lot of things went through my mind. Should I offer some tissue? Maybe. Should I give first aid? No, because I know nuts about first aid other than how to spell it. Should I call an ambulance? I don't think so. So I simply asked her a question.

Me: Do you need help?

She didn't say anything and stood up and walked. I walked beside her. She looked at her hands. I looked at her hands. They were dirty with some dirt and leaves. So I offered her a piece of tissue.

Me: Here's a tissue for you to wipe your hands.

I don't remember hearing her saying anything, but maybe she said thanks and gave a smile. Can't really remember.

I looked at her while she wiped the dirt and leaves. It was then that I saw blood on the tissue. She must have grazed or cut herself when she fell. It was a pity that I didn't have any plasters with me else I could have given her one. So, I offered another piece of tissue.

Me: Here's another piece. Use the clean one for your wound.

After all, a dirty tissue won't really help much on a wound.

From the overhead bridge onwards, I accompanied her in case she fell again. It was very awkward. She was there cleaning her wound while I was beside her walking. She was quiet. So I decided to start a conversation.

Me: It rains these days. So it can be pretty slippery.

She looked at me and smiled...and kept quiet after that. It was really awkward. I thought of asking questions like "What are you studying?" or "Are you a student in NUS?" (nah, that's a stupid question) but didn't do so as she's injured and quiet, so maybe she wasn't in the mood to talk. Nevertheless, I accompanied her.

We walked all the way to the zebra crossing and she went to some part of NUS while I went to the bus stop. She was in front of me.

Me: Okay...take care.

She looked back and smiled.

I went to the bus stop and waited for my bus.

In the bus I thought, "What will she do with that piece of tissue?" Keep it? Throw it away? If I were her, I would throw it as what's the point of keeping dirty tissues? But you never know, girls can be quite different...haha.

(If by any slim chance you happen to be that girl who fell this morning, please take care and watch your steps. The floor can be pretty slippery when it rains. Hope that you are well.)


Technorati   Digg!   Del.icio.us   Reddit   Furl   Google   Yahoo

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha... to think that you actually think she might keep the tissues based on that brief encounter with you. You must be hoping for something, right? Then again, she might have found you "yan dao" and too shy to say anything. He he...

2:39 PM, May 06, 2007  
Blogger Annie said...

sound like a Korean film :)

4:28 PM, May 07, 2007  
Blogger Steph said...

Hi Anonymous,

No lah...lol. I just wanted to make it more drama...lol.

Not really lah. Nothing to hope for as I don't even know her. I helped because she needed help :)

10:52 PM, May 07, 2007  
Blogger Steph said...

Hi Annie.

True...haha :D

10:53 PM, May 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home