Steph's Friend

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

SCE/MSE FOC 2007 in NTU

The camp is over. I must say that it was an interesting week.

On the first day of the camp, we met at Boon Lay Interchange. We played ice-breaker games and got to know some of the names of my group mates. We took a bus to NTU and went to this common hall (it's a big place where we played our games and had our meal). We played some more games there. There was this game which was kinda...hm...weird. In that the player had to say certain things that were kinda obscene. I wondered how the girls would feel.

Anyway, on our first day, we played games most of the time in that common hall. While we were playing our games, I saw someone that I recognized. Hohoho...I don't know if she recognized me but I recognized her. I can't really confirm but had a hunch that it was her. She's from SCE (Comp Engin). The games were okay. The food was fine. Then there was an "Introduction Night". It was the perfect opportunity for me to confirm my guess. So when the emcee announced the appointment holders as they walked up to the "stage" I waited for him to go to the Welfare part. Finally he said "And now for the Welfare Officer we have..." Haha...I was right. My guess was right.

At night, we had an item called "Sherlock Holmes". It's where groups had to solve a murder case. Interesting huh? We freshies come and there's someone who died. Anyway it was interesting especially when you have a dead body coming back to live and girls screaming at the top of their lungs in the middle of the night.

There was this room where our group had to confirm if the deceased was indeed that person (I won't name names here lest someone with the same name reads my blog and gets offended). So our group entered the tutorial room. The lights were closed. Inside the room was this guy who looked like some forensic expert with a lab coat on him. The other guy was this supposedly dead guy lying on a row of tables with a table cloth over him. Sheesh...talk about being real.

Anyway, our group walked in with a lot of "hehe" and "haha". Then this scene followed:

Forensic Expert: Please respect the dead.
Group mate: Real or not? He sleep there how long already?
Forensic Expert: Please keep quiet and respect the dead.

You know, of all the place, why must they pick a tutorial room? It gives me the impression that people study until they get too stressed and die. Not a very nice impression eh? Anyway, he asked one of us to lift the table cloth which was on the "dead" guy. So that same group mate volunteered.

He lifted the table cloth and suddenly the "dead" guy moved! Sheesh. It's like some Resident Evil zombie man! The whole group was freaked out with the girls screaming. I looked at the Forensic Expert and saw that he was smiling. That evil guy. It must be him who killed the victim. Nah, it wasn't him but some other guy which he met later. It was a long game that ended quite late like about 1.30 am.

We went back to our rooms and took a shower. I wanted to refill my water bottle but did not know where. So I looked for someone to ask. I saw her, the one from SCE (Let's call her T). Maybe I should ask her? Or maybe I should continue to play this game of hide and seek? Lol...it was funny. Nevertheless, I went over to T and her group of friends and asked. One of her friends answered me with a very vague answer. I guess she didn't know where but suggested the pantry. I tried the pantry on my level but there wasn't any. I only found a water cooler at the second level pantry.

My room mates and I slept at about 2.00 am. In case, you don't know, it was 5 people on two beds. So we combined the two beds together and slept. The fan was at full blast and I was getting cold. It's not easy to sleep when you are cold and squeezed. So I slept on the floor. It was hard but nevertheless easier to sleep on than the bed. How wrong I was. I woke up and tossed every now and then. I seriously don't know how long I can keep up with this. Unknowingly, my answer would be found the next day.

Day 2. Breakfast was nasi lemak. Quite okay I would say. We played some more games and then there was this game where we had candles and had to go over to our opponent's side and use our candle to burn their strings. They defend by blowing out the flame on our candles. Simple and easy. I played the defender for my side. T was there standing near some place marked with raffia strings with her friends. The raffia strings were "danger zones" with holes where people may fall into. Very noble job standing there. As I played I saw that there were some guys who played very roughly. One of my team mates who was defending had his specs knocked out! And worse still, the guy didn't apologize to him. That was not all. There was this guy who was trying to break through our defense and knocked a female team mate down onto the floor! Sheesh, it was like so rough man!

Anyway, the game dragged for too long and the judge said that defending was not allowed so I went to attack. Someone blew out my flame and I had to go to the "Medic" (the guy who lighted all our candles) to flame on! Ironically, there was a pit near my Medic and I sprained my ankle. Ironic isn't it? Spraining your leg while going to the Medic. I heard a loud crack sound and I knew I was in trouble. Nevertheless, I continued on. The game ended and we proceeded on to the next game.

I couldn't participate and had to sit down. So I helped my group hold our flag while my team mates played. Yet it was then that the fun started...

I was sitting with the flag. There was one senior beside me and I saw T walking over to our side. She sat with us. Lol...it was going to be a real joke that I should meet up with T when I have a sprained ankle. It was a real joke, but it wasn't funny.

Anyway, they chat until T asked me this question.

T: Are you a freshie or a senior?
Me: Freshie.
T: Then why don't you play with them?
Me: I sprained my ankle.
T: When?
Me: Like...30 minutes ago?
T: Huh? You should inform us earlier.

Our conversation was something like that. So T went to get some medics to help her while I thought about how funny it was that I should meet T with such a predicament. In case you are wondering. I knew T for some time but didn't know who she was in real life.So the camp was an opportunity for me to find out who T was.

T and the medic came. The medic said that there was a slight swelling. They brought me over to the grandstand for me to rest. Along the way, we had this conversation.

T: So which course are you in?

It was a good question because she knows that Steph is studying Material Science. Should I continue on playing the game of hide and seek and say some crap like "Business Engineering Sciences"? Nah. It's good to tell the truth.

Me: Material Engineering.
T: I see. By the way, what's your name?

Whoa! The final question that could end this game. I told the truth.

Me: Stephen
T: Oh! I think I know who you are. The blogger right?
Me: Yah.

Sheesh. It was so pai seh to meet someone you don't know with a sprain ankle. We reached the grandstand and I was given an ice pack to reduce the swelling. I can't remember the two medics' name but I know that one was from Medan, the same place where I grew up in. I think his name was like Medy or something like that. Anyway we had an interesting conversation.

Me: You are not Singaporean right?
Medy: Yah. I am from Indonesia.
Me: Cool! Dari mana? (Which part of Indonesia?)

At this point of time, Medy looked surprised while T just laughed.

Medy: Medan.
Me: I grew up there!

And so we talked and talked.

The senior medic (it was a lady with a ponytail) wrapped up my ankle with some bandage. I was told to rest.

As I rest, I wondered how sad it was that I was there to make new friends and enjoy myself. Yet such a thing had to happen. It was real sad. I saw many of them playing out there in the field having fun. It was kinda sad. Then T gave me some food and drinks for my lunch. I ate and looked at my group playing. They were having fun while I was having lunch. Something was wrong. It was my ankle.

Anyway, to cut the looong and saaad story short, my dad wanted me to see a doctor and told me to go back. Before I went back, my group cheered me on led by the Group Leader. Yet I wondered how many of them really meant it? Nevertheless, it was a nice gesture. There was this guy from SCE (I can't remember his name but I know he's some important guy in the camp and the SCE club) who drove me to my hall and Wendy, one of the GLs, helped me as I packed my stuff. I gave my SP gift to Wendy and asked her to passed it to T since T has been a great help assisting me with my injury. I guess I won't be meeting any SP huh. Anyway, the guy then drove me to the polyclinic which was near my house. My dad was waiting for me there. I thanked the both of them, Wendy and the Important Guy.

So I waited for my queue to arrive. While waiting I asked whether there was any good that came out of all these. I mean when something bad happens, try to look at the bright side and things won't be so bad. So what are the good things? Well, I thought of a few:

1. I need not club.

I guess I can still say that I have never been to a club. My record is still kept.

2. I get to sleep on my bed.

I need not squeeze with four other guys for space to sleep.

2 may not be much but hey, at least there's some good out of it right?

Anyway, something happened yesterday night (Monday night). Colin, the Chief Group Leader came to my house to give me my Camp T-short and shoe. Apparently, I left my shoe back in camp. Hey, I had a sprained ankle and couldn't pack properly okay. He came and met me near my house and passed me my shoe and T-short. I was very touched by his act of kindness. So I gave him a box of biscuits as a form of appreciation. I guess I have one more thing to add to my list of "good things".

3. There are kind and nice people in NTU.

From Colin to T to Wendy and the Important Guy who drove me back, I was able to see that there were nice people in the camp. This was something I may not have seen If I didn't sprained my ankle.

I would like to end this post with a thank you to all those who have helped me.

(Note: I will be away again for another camp. Will be back on Thursday)


Technorati   Digg!   Del.icio.us   Reddit   Furl   Google   Yahoo

14 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

lolz... seems like u meet quite a lot of Medanise.. :p.. Expect to meet more, as there are 100s of them here :p

I know Medy. He was the president of Red Cross last year (and I was the Communication Officer), taking same course with me as well ^^; It's a small world afterall =)

2:56 PM, November 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yah loh...haha...

Serious 100+...wow...that's like a lot...lol.

He's a nice person. And if I remember correctly, he did ask me to donate blood for the donation drive...haha. Yup it's a small world :D

10:21 PM, November 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sanjeev. I am a technical Analyst. I like to read a lot. share market tips

Play a crucial role in today’s economy; they are the key contributors towards a country’s GDP growth. India in the last decade has established itself as a powerful economy and it is growing at a healthy rate. One of the key constituents of India’s robust economy is its stock market. The stock market tips dates back to the eighteenth century. However, the real journey of the Indian Stock market began in the middle of the nineteenth century with the passing of the “Company’s Act” in 1850. The primary driving forces behind the development of the Indian Stock market were the native shares and the stock broker’s Association.



We provide intraday tips and MCX tips.

You are welcome to visit my website for updated prices and other information of all Indian trading scripts





share tips expert team

6:16 PM, June 08, 2010  
Anonymous BUZZINGSTREET said...

Dear Visitor,
Market is showing some good move. Nifty traders are now confused if they should go short in Nifty from current level of 5400 or should go further long. NSE and BSE are the two major stock exchanges of Indian stock market. Keeping in mind that many investors and traders are very much confused with the current market move, we have stared posting " title="technical research reports"> technical research reports These reports are highly accurate and are available for free.

Regards
Stock market investment if done with proper research and updated knowledge than it can give very lucrative results. There are four basic golden rules of stock market which are to be followed. (thebuzzingstreet1@gmail.com)www.buzzingstreet.com


Nifty is on its peak now and is turning volatile. Investors are suggested to book long delivery positions soon. As after some more upmove we can see profit booking in the market soon. Investors are suggested to grab quality stocks at lower level again.

5:12 PM, October 20, 2010  
Anonymous sharetipsinfo said...

NSE and BSE have many listed stocks, Let Sharetipsinfo research best profitable stocks for you. Our accuracy speaks for us

5:09 PM, November 23, 2010  
Anonymous Commodity tips said...

Very good post, I was really searching for this topic, as I wanted this topic to understand completely and it is also very rare in internet, that is why it was very difficult to understand.

Thank you for sharing this.

regards:

Commodity tips

11:37 PM, June 30, 2011  
Anonymous Investing stocks said...

This is a good site to spent time on. I just stumbled upon your informative blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your very well written blog posts.

8:47 PM, May 13, 2013  
Blogger INTRADAYTIPS.COM said...

We want you to thank you for such outstanding information on your blog

5:10 PM, September 03, 2013  
Blogger Unknown said...

This blog is novice and informative,it is a pleasure to post a comment on this usefull blog created by a webmaster. Now as such the final stages of the formal completion of nuclear deal has come,so we can expect some positive news effecting the movement of the INDIAN STOCK MARKET which means stocks coming in power sector will take new direction.
Free live price Comex tips news reports | Calls

1:35 PM, October 03, 2013  
Anonymous NSE TIPS said...

As we all know that India have 2 major market and they both are fastest growing market in India and each traders want's to invest here but they prefer accuracy in tips and we are providing accurate tips for all traders....

Billion tips

9:08 PM, November 22, 2013  
Blogger Online Dry Fruits Provider India said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:40 PM, November 26, 2013  
Blogger Ram Katariya said...

Try to follow regularly the advice and Stock tips of Epic Research to get early benefits and advantages in share markets.

6:04 PM, July 13, 2016  
Blogger Ram Katariya said...

Epic Research main focus is always to serve traders and provide a valuable Stock tips to make good money in market.

2:39 PM, July 15, 2016  
Blogger Beststockstips12 said...

This is very nice post. good job.
Short Term Investment Tips

11:56 AM, March 26, 2021  

Post a Comment

<< Home