Steph's Friend

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Shuai Ge (Handsome Boy)

This morning, my parents and I decided to go to West Mall for our brunch (breakfast and lunch). When we reached there, there were a lot of stalls with various kinds of food. There was one stall with Vietnam food, another with seaweed, one with local food and many more. I saw one stall (the crackers stall) with free samples. So I went to it and took one of the food displayed - the spicy crackers. It was nice. My dad asked if I wanted to buy it. It was tasty, but I didn't buy it. Maybe later. I took one more sample and decided that it was enough. Apparently, the stalls were all not ready yet as the stall holders were seen packing things and setting up stuff. I guess it's something like a mini food fair.

Anyway, we went to eat at Mos Burger. The food was expensive but filling. I can never understand how (tongue twister alert) Mos Burger's burgers (you want to try to say that out loud?) are so expensive. They are even more expensive than MacDonald's and KFC. However, it was only once in a while so I guess it's not that bad.

We had our brunch and went to the food fair to look at the food available. I was walking halfway when I realised that my parents were behind looking at some stalls. My dad was at the crackers stall from where I took a few samples from. There was a lady there who was trying to sell some of the crackers to my dad. I saw him and walked towards him. It was then that this conversation followed.

Lady: Zhe shi ni de er zi arh? (Is this your son?)
Dad: Yes.
Lady: Wah...shuai ge leh! Ni you shi yi shi mah? (Wah, handsome leh! Do you want to have some sample?)
Me: Er...no thank you.

It was at this point of time that I felt weird...way weird. I am not used to people saying such things. I analyzed the situation and came to two conclusions. First, she was telling the truth. If so, then I guess maybe I am not as bad looking as I thought I am...lol. Second, she said that hoping that we will buy from her. If so, then I guess her crackers look better than me.

In the end, my dad bought one packet of crackers that I sampled previously. Was it because of the lady's comments or was it because the crackers were nice? I think I know...

Anyway, the lady's comments made me think deep about something. I guess that will be for another blog post.


Technorati   Digg!   Del.icio.us   Reddit   Furl   Google   Yahoo

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps she was trying to make you feel bad about not buying any first time and maybe she thought if she said nice things you would return the favour and call her beautiful! :D (Or buy her crackers...) ;)

God bless,:)
Me.

5:50 AM, July 08, 2007  
Blogger Steph said...

Haha...true. That's what I thought so too. It's quite an old trick of the trade to increase trade :)

God Bless,
Steph

8:57 AM, July 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home