Steph's Friend

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Interesting Happenings In UC Berkeley

It's been a long time since I've last blogged. A lot of interesting things happened.

1. It's Chinatown in Berkeley
Session A was over and now Session D starts. Guess what...there are a lot of chinese people in where I am staying...whoa...there are like Koreans, Taiwanese and those from China. Then there's another thing...there are so many girls at my level. It's a contrast to a few weeks before where there were many more guys instead of girls. Then one more thing I noticed is that the people here study hard loh. There was once I was studying and doing my homework late into the night. Late = around 1am and guess what I saw? I saw so many people studying! Diao...it's like only the first day of school for them and they were all like in the study room studying. Power man! Never see before.

2. A co-ed bathroom
If you didn't know yet, the floor I am in has a common toilet (by the way, the people here call it "washroom" instead of "toilet"). Both guys and girls share the same toilet. Inside the toilet there are 3 cubicles and 4 shower cubicles.

I noticed a few things here. The amount of stuff girls bring into the toilet is definitely many more than guys. There was once there was this girl that brought in a basket of stuff. Then another time I saw this girl bringing in a plastic bag full of stuff. I didn't know you could shop in the toilet.

Oh yeah. Girls spend more time over the sink than guys. Once I saw my friend (a girl) in the toilet at the sink so I greeted her and we chat for awhile (like talk about how was class...etc) then after that I went into the shower cubicle and took a bath. After my bath, I went out of the cubicle and my friend was still there washing her face! Wow...nothing to say. It can only mean 2 things. One, I bath super fast that she has no time to wash her face. Or she took a long time to wash her face. Then I took a closer look at the area around the sink she was using. Lo and behold...there were bottles, tubes and containers of some sort. Now I understand why girls spend so much time in the toilet.

Then there was this case where I was bathing and suddenly a girl knocked on my door. I was shocked!

Girl: Excuse me.

From her voice I could tell that she was Chinese.

Me: *too stunned to say anything*

What is she doing?

Girl: Excuse me...
Me: Yeah?
Girl: I left my key in the shower room. Can you pass it to me?

Eh? Like that also got.

I looked around and true enough I saw a key. However, before handing the key to her, I must do security check.

Me: What's your room number?
Girl: It's ???.

I looked at the key...true enough the number matched. And so I did something I've never ever done before in my life...I passed the key over the door to the girl.

Girl: Thank you.
Me: You are welcome.

After that short encounter, I realized I had to blog about this and continued to bath. Weird man...weird...

3. Studies and exams
I am not sure if it's representative of the students here but somehow, the number of students in my class attending lecture is decreasing lecture after lecture. I don't know maybe they are too smart for lectures.

I just had my Midterm. It was on Monday afternoon. It had 4 questions and it was a 3-hour long paper. Guess how long I took to finish it? I took around 20 minutes. How come so fast? Simple...NTU students are smart.

Anyway, after finishing the paper, I didn't submit it immediately, instead I checked through it. Thankfully I noticed an error I had made and changed it. In the end, I submitted my paper 30 minutes before the end. I discussed my answer with my friend. Our answers agreed until the last part. I must admit that the last question was tough...no wonder our answers differed. She presented her logic as to why her answer was right. Somehow, I agreed with her...shucks...if she's right, then I am wrong. I just hoped for the best.

The result of the Midterm came out on Wednesday afternoon...pretty fast I must say.

Oh yeah, here in UC Berkeley, they have something similar to edventure...it's called bspace.

And so I went to bspace and checked my result. It's the same feeling you get when you go to StudentLink to check for your exam results...I clicked on the button...and...and I saw...

My marks.

I was stunned. I did pretty well. I am pleasantly surprised. I guess studying in Berkeley isn't that hard after all. All you need is hard work (e.g. sleeping late into the night studying and not partying). Or maybe the class I am taking is easy. For your information I am taking EE100: Electronic Techniques for Engineering

My friends all did pretty well too with 90+ marks. It's scary knowing how smart the people here are.

4. Workers on strike
This week started out with workers from the campus out on strike. Early in the morning, I could see the workers walking around chanting slogans with signboards asking for better pay and working conditions. It's pretty interesting as I've never seen a live one before.

I don't think you'll ever get to see such a thing in Singapore.

However, when the workers go on strike, things start to happen. The food over at our canteen started to go from "nice" to "so-so". No one cleaned the toilets in our halls and so it has a certain smell to it.

That's what you get when workers go on strike.




So that's about it for now...I need to go and sleep liao.

Time: 10.38pm, 18th July 08 (Friday)

Technorati   Digg!   Del.icio.us   Reddit   Furl   Google   Yahoo

1 Comments:

Blogger essay best said...

Good post, loved the way you explained everything, going to share it with others as well. Thank you for sharing it with us and keep posting such nice posts

7:03 PM, May 17, 2017  

Post a Comment

<< Home