Steph's Friend

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Underaged Smoking

It was early in the morning. I just alighted one stop before West Mall and was waiting for 177. One thing was weird. There was this boy who alighted. Normally he would alight one stop earlier than me, but that day was different - he alighted together with me. Let's call him Boy. Along with us was three other school boys.

While waiting for my bus, I suddenly smelt smoke. It was cigarette smoke. The old uncle wasn't there nor was the middle-aged man. Who could it be? I turned my head and saw the three school boys smoking! Wow...they are like in lower secondary? About the age of 15? They shared a stick. While smoking, they looked around. One of them smiled and laughed throughout. He seemed to be the oldest among the group. I guess he was the leader of the group. The other two seemed fidgety - noobs I guess.

All of a sudden, Boy shouted for the three boys. Huh? Were they even together in a group? Their uniforms were different. He motioned for them to board a bus. The three looked agitated and the eldest of the three started to puff a few more puffs before throwing the cigarette on the floor.

I was stunned. They are young boys and have started to smoke. I know it's common but I saw it myself on that day. It's different hearing something as compared to when you actually see it. I guess we are after all living in a progressive society so it's no surprise that young kids are exposed to "new forms of release".


Technorati   Digg!   Del.icio.us   Reddit   Furl   Google   Yahoo

8 Comments:

Blogger wanwenwanwen said...

Hmm, it is interesting to wonder how the kids are able to ge their hands on the tobacco.

It is not a rare sight anymore. Living overseas, I have seen kids as young as 10 years of age taking puffs. It is highly disturbing and seems like the Health Education is not as effective as we all think it should be.

Just my two cents worth of this topic.

2:12 AM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger Steph said...

In Medan, I've seen primary school kids smoking. Quite shocking I must say.

Thanks for sharing your two cents worth wanwenwanwen :D

10:56 PM, September 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Youngsters smoking in Singapore. Although it was a pretty common sight before the smoking bans came out, now I think I rarelyspot any such people huffing and puffing, at least not in public view. But I'm especially annoying with smokers smoking so blatantly at bus stops and food courts. Can't they see and read the sign that says "NO SMOKING"?

I saw an old man smoking at the bus stop near my place and I ask him not to, he scolded me for not respecting old people. Haha. How pathetic.

Anyway, have a nice day!

10:56 PM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger Steph said...

True Teddy. I was once waiting for a bus at a bus stop. There was this man who started to smoke. What's worse was that the wind was blowing in my direction and I am behind him. I walked in front so as to avoid being a "second-hand smoker". I pity the guys behind him.

These people I guess are actually quite sad. I believe if given a choice, some may choose to quit. Even more so after the ban of public smoking. Sadly the nicotine in them prove otherwise.

Thanks Ted. Have a nice day too :D

11:02 PM, September 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i see alot of underaged kids smoking now a days. me being 16 myself. i have tried it and i dont find it disgusting.

someone told me kids who smoke get it from there parents is that true?

my brother use to smoke. hes 17.

and me and my sister do acasonially.

ive grown up with alot of ppl but my new friends when i switched schools all just happend to smoke. i guess i got it from them.

not wanted to be out of the circle. i think its stupid now that i started.
but i cant stop now. its too hard.

6:02 AM, October 18, 2006  
Blogger Steph said...

That's a very brave and honest comment you've made Anonymous. I appreciate the thoughts that you shared.

It's true that people sometimes smoke because of peer pressure. The desire to be accepted sometimes results in not so healthy outcomes.

Well, I hope that you'll come out of it soon. Not only will it save you the money, but it also helps you to lead a healthier lifestyle.

6:20 PM, October 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo. I'm a smoker too. just started out. mostly because of stress and the likes. just didn't know what else to do. after my first puff, it was much better than what most people said about how disgusting it is, or how you'll cough like shit, and it stinks and all... so anyway, after that i just sought my friends to get me supplies and i smoked them. its not too bad, man.

10:28 PM, August 24, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:48 PM, July 14, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home