Steph's Friend

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's Day In NJC

It's Valentine's Day. I went to NJC to look at the research done by students with the various research institutions. I know, it's a geeky way to spend the day.

As I stepped into the small gate, a security guard came to me. He was different. He's no longer the chinese man with specs. He asked me where I am going to. Duh. NJC of course. No lah, I didn't reply that way. I told him I am going in to look at the exhibits and he allowed me in. As I walked through the running track, memories of the past came back to me. The stone table where everyone gathered, the table near the prata stall where we would eat and our classroom. Those were the days.

It was early, so I decided to go to the bandroom. It was locked. I decided to have my lunch since I have not eaten yet. I went to the prata shop but they didn't have prata. I know at times I can be lame, but to have a prata shop that doesn't have prata? That's awesome man! I guess you could say that it's the ultimate joke. The auntie asked me to try other stuff like rojak to which I politely declined.

The canteen was renovated and so is the place between the canteen and the staircase (I forgot the name of it). I went to the bandroom to see if it was open, but it was locked. While waiting for the event to start, I went to the wooden table outside the library and did some work.

When it was time, I went to the hall. There wasn't anyone there even though it's 3pm (it's suppose to start at three). After like 20 minutes or so, I walked out of the hall to look at the bandroom. Then one student came to me.

Student: Are you one of the research mentors?
Me: (Wow...do I look like one?) Erm, no.
Student: Oh okay.
Me: What time is this suppose to start?
Student: 3pm.
Me: Er...okay. So where's everybody?
Student: LT5.
Me: ! Oh okay, thanks.

Great, no one told me that it was at LT5. I forgot where LT5 was. After walking for sometime did I manage to find it. From the outside, I could hear people clapping and all, I guess it's the certificate award ceremony. In short, I am late.

I went in and everyone was clapping. Wow, I am late and they clapped for me. What a grand entry! Sadly it wasn't for me but for the certificate recipients. I hurriedly took a seat and looked through the brochure provided.

After the award ceremony, the thing ended and now is the time for the exhibits. Finally. I went to the hall and it seems that no one's there yet. I guess they were taking their time walking to the hall. So I decided to drop by the band room.

I went down and apparently, the band room became a music room. The new band room is somewhat smaller but higher. Anyway I asked them whether the percussion section leader was around. The guy playing with the snare drum directed me to this guy.

Guy: Yes, how can I help you?
Me: Is the percussion section leader around?
Guy: No why?
Me: Well, I am thinking of helping the percussion sections with the drums if they want to learn as from what I know, the band used to lack students who can play the drum?
Guy: Which school are you from?
Me: (I knew it. Why must it always be like this when I go to the bandroom) Erm...I graduated from NJC like in 2004.
Guy: Huh? Oh okay.

He thought I wanted to join the band. Nevermind.

I went up to the exhibit and looked at the posters and asked questions to learn things. Some of them impressed me with the knowledge they had. I also met Mr Felix Lim, my physics teacher. We talked and talked. Quite interesting I must say. I also met Mr Goh Hock Leong who is now the HOD of Science! Congrats to him. My mentor also came as he had some NJC students. After the exhibition, I went home.

Along the way to work, to NJC and back home, I saw a lot of girls carrying balloons and flowers. That's nice, someone appreciates them (unless of course they bought it themselves and act as if someone else bought for them).

It's Valentine's Day. I wish everyone a happy Valentine's Day. Here's a video from YouTube. Enjoy.




(Note: I received an email very early in the morning (about 1am plus). It was a comment I received here. It has a nice reminder to wait for the perfect one. Coincidence?)


Technorati   Digg!   Del.icio.us   Reddit   Furl   Google   Yahoo

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I know, it's a geeky way to spend the day."

You don't have to apologise for engaging in analytical and inquisitive activities. 'Geek' is a word that has currency in an age where being simplistic and a mindless follower of trends is a virtue. If we were all 'geeks', this might be a better society. Grads, people occupying high positions, etc, these days, seem to be a determiner of a quality mind. However, the truth is, these people are specifically intelligent whilst simultaneously being generally docile. However, the rewards that follow their positions and professions seem to indicate that they are generally able because of the validation received. Thus, they continue to be generally dumb and not think or inquire deeply in non-work areas. Thus, the individual who does this is considererd a 'geek' or someone who does that which is not required.

I'd rather be a geek anyday.

12:55 PM, February 22, 2007  
Blogger Steph said...

Very interesting comment.

It is so chim I almost couldn't understand...haha.

Well, let's first define a "geek". According to Dictionary.com, we have three examples.

1. a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken.
2. a peculiar or offensive person, esp. one who is perceived to be overly intellectual.
3. an expert in computers (a term of pride as self-reference, but often considered offensive when used by outsiders.)

The first would be too cannibalistic for Singapore's context of a geek. The second would fit if the kind of geek we are talking about offends people. The third, in my opinion, would suit the purpose for our discussion.

Well, if we use the third definition of a geek, then I guess I have used it wrongly. Why? First of all, I am no expert in computers.

Now let's change the definition of a geek to that of yours. If I understand correctly, you define the geek as an educated but quiet person. Well, if that is your definition of what a geek is, then I guess it won't be so degrading as what's perceived by society from someone labeled as a geek.

Interesting...

9:10 PM, February 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home