Steph's Friend

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Do You Need Help?

This just happened. And when I say just, I meant 5 minutes ago. So what happened?

I was at Lee Wee Name. (It's funny how most of my stories happened at LWN). I went to the 2nd level to print my notes. After clicking the "Print" button, I went to the printing kiosk below. I placed my EZ-Link card and selected Printer A. The student beside me used his EZ-Link card also. He doesn't look local, he is an ang moh. My guess is that he's from America. I went to Printer A and waited for the notes. The notes came out and I went to this corner for stapling your stuff. Now this is where the story starts...

As I was stapling my notes, the ang moh (let's call him John as ang moh doesn't sound nice) stood beside me and stapled his notes. From the corner of my eyes (yes, my eyes have corners) I could see that he had difficulty stapling. I took the stapler in front of me and saw that there wasn't any "bullets" (sheesh, can you imagine that as a University student I am still using Primary school English like "bullets"...lol). So I went to place a whole new line of staples in the stapler. I stapled my notes and went off. As I walked away, I could see that John was still having difficulty. I wanted to help him, but wasn't sure of how he would react. Would he like dao me or something? So I walked out of the shop.

As I left the shop, I felt that I had to help him, so I walked back to the kiosk and pretend to staple some imaginary notes. Hey! I need to do that, else John may suspect something...lol. Then the conversation started.

Me: Do you need help?

There was no reply. Aiyo...how paiseh it was, it seemed that I was talking to myself. I waited...

John: Yeah, this thing doesn't seem to work.
Me: Do you want to use this stapler? (I pointed to the one I used.)

He was still busy looking at his stapler. Maybe I should help him with his stapler.

John: I can't seem to insert this here. (He was trying to refill the stapler).
Me: Ah...let me show you.

I pulled the spring-thing backwards.

Me: First you have to pull this backwards and then you insert the staples here and let it slide to the front.
John: Ah...yes yes. Thank you.
Me: Welcome. Why don't you try again? It should work now.

I looked at him as he stapled his notes. It was a success.

Me: Yeah.
John: Thanks.

And so I walked out of the kiosk, went to the 2nd level and blogged about it. It feels nice helping another person.

Technorati   Digg!   Del.icio.us   Reddit   Furl   Google   Yahoo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home