Steph's Friend

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Happy Mother's Day

I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life. ~Abraham Lincoln

It was at night, breathing was difficult and the wheezing was there. I was having some difficulty breathing while trying to sleep. It was 9.30 pm, the time I was supposed to sleep.

At the age of 5, I didn't really know the dangers of having a cough and flu late in the night. It was just an uncomfortable experience that's all. But for my mother, it was something that could endanger my life.

She said a little prayer and hummed a Christian song. I guess it was a point of desperation for her. The medicine prescribed was of no use, traditional treatments from my grandparents had no effect and my father was still at work.

Thinking back, it was tough for her.

She continued on with the song while cuddling me to sleep. I couldn't remember the song, but I knew the voice. The song was comforting and her prayer assuring. After a few minutes, I was asleep.

Now at the age of 19, I could still remember that scene. The bed I slept on at that time (it's already thrown away), the bed lamp in front of my eyes as I hear her sing (also thrown away) and her hands around me, occasionally touching my forehead for signs of fever.

For all that she have done, I am truly thankful.

Happy Mother's Day Mummy.

A mother's arms are made of tenderness and children sleep soundly in them. ~Victor Hugo

Here's an e-card for all mothers. Click it, you deserve it.


Technorati   Digg!   Del.icio.us   Reddit   Furl   Google   Yahoo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home