Steph's Friend

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Father's Day

"What you just did is wrong. Taking stuff from other people without their permission is wrong. Please don't do that again."

He corrects me when I have done something wrong. From a gentle reminder to a cane on the rear, he would explain the rationale of it to me - a 5 year-old kid. It's not easy explaining ethics and morales to a kid, but he did it.

"I can see that she has a liking for you, but I can tell you that it's temporary. It's this stage in our life where hormones would run all over your arteries and veins, making the other 50% of society more attractable."

True enough, after 2 years, she went for another guy. I was 12 then.

"You better study hard. It's your A Levels and I am sure you would want a good certificate. So please study hard. No more playing."

It didn't sound nice, but nevertheless good advice for someone who is still not buried in his books during the exams. Age: 18.

"You better sleep now. It's already past 10pm."

Almost everyday my dad would remind me to sleep early. How old am I? 20. Try to get a 20 year-old teen to sleep at 10, and you will know how hard it is. Moving the lawn may be easier than asking that adrenaline-pumped kid to sleep at 10. Yet, my father is able to do it.

Do I feel like a teen from "Oldville"? Nah, in fact, I feel special. Why? Because I can sleep at 10pm when others would go out at night. Sleeping early does have it's benefits. You feel more refreshed, able to concentrate on the things you do and you get less ulcers in your mouth. How do I know? My father told me so.

For all the guidance and care that you have given me, I am thankful for it Dad.

Happy Father's Day.

"Any man can be a father, but it takes a special person to be a dad" ~ Proverb


Technorati   Digg!   Del.icio.us   Reddit   Furl   Google   Yahoo

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

What a wonderful, reflective entry. The caning part sounds a bit extreme, but it sounds like your father is a great man who cares a lot about you.

4:40 PM, June 19, 2006  
Blogger Steph said...

As they say, "spare the rod and spoil the child". It may be extreme but it's better to let your child cry than cry for him/her later.

Thanks. I am thankful for having a father like him :)

10:18 PM, June 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home