Steph's Friend

Thursday, February 16, 2006

A Chinese Student

(Note: This post does not mean to discriminate anyone, anything or myself. With that in mind please proceed on to the post itself.)

It seems that I will soon have another student! The school called and told me that my next student will be having her lesson starting this Saturday! But...she can't speak English. Haiz...I don't know what I should do. Lol...

The student is around 30 to 40 years old. She's from China (I guess it's true that China's an opening market) and isn't really good in English...I wonder how the lessons are going to be held...

Me: Hi, today we are going to learn on how to play the drum.
Student: ?

Waa...I guess it's gonna be an interesting experience. Honestly, I can't really speak Chinese fluently. Wo zhi hui yi dian dian er yi (Translation: I can only speak a bit of it). I know that I am a Chinese Singaporean and I should know how to speak the language...blah...blah...blah, but I grew up not speaking Chinese. Instead, I grew up speaking English, Hokkien and Bahasa Indonesia. Well, it's a long story...which I will leave for some other time.

The thing that bugs me the most is that I don't know the terms in Chinese. Like what do you call a "crotchet" or a "minim" or even a "bar"? Also, what do you call the "bass drum"? Da luo gu (Translation: big drum)? The cymbals? Na ge hen duo sen ying de dong xi (Translation: that thing that makes a lot of noise)?

I guess I will leave that for Saturday. Now, I will just watch Spiderman...with the subtitles of course!

Crazy Japanese Spiderman


It's around 20 minutes. But it's worth it if you have a lot of time and are into crazy and funny parodies.
Note: Mild adult references


Tags: , ,

Technorati   Digg!   Del.icio.us   Reddit   Furl   Google   Yahoo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home